Panax Ginseng: Wonder of the World
Panax Ginseng is a plant that can be found growing in Korea, some parts of China and Siberia. The root of the plant is often used as an essential ingredient in medicine. First significant detail to be mentioned is that Panax Ginseng is a distinct species of plant. Not to be confused with American Ginseng or Eleuthero, known as Siberian Ginseng. This is important because these plants are not interchangeable.
The name Panax comes from a Greek word meaning, all-healing’’ so this species of Ginseng is supposed to mean, Wonder of the world’’ because it heals many different systems in the body. Here are five main health benefits of Panax Ginseng:
- Decreases symptoms of stress Panax Ginseng can relax the nervous system because it increases the circulation in the brain. This process can also stimulate the mind, but mostly it can decrease side effects of stress. The plant is beneficial because it gives energy to the body and fights symptoms of fatigue. Unlike stimulants, like coffee, the plant sustains the adrenal glands decreasing stress without over-stimulating.
- Boosts immunity and balances metabolism Because it is known as an energy booster, Panax Ginseng can be used to fight weakness. For example, it is very beneficial for cancer patients because it gives them vitality and helps them fight fatigue, which is a side effect of the disease and medication. The medicinal plant can help balance the metabolism, beneficial for people with a high glycemic index, high cholesterol or high blood pressure. The ingestion of the plant increases the existence of 3 main critical antioxidant enzymes: SOD, glutathione peroxidase, and catalase, them being responsible for oxidation-reduction.
- Enhances memory In some studies, a combination of Panax Ginseng and Ginkgo Biloba has proved to boost memory and the thinking processes, them being mostly responsible for the cognitive area. Also, the unique substances found in Panax Ginseng can enhance mental capacities in cases of convalescence or loss of concentration. Another positive effect shown by studies is the improvement of calmness in individuals.
- Fights aging symptoms Panax Ginseng contains some essential anti-aging substances that can’t be found in other types of Ginseng. These antioxidants and insulin-like substances help the body slow the process of aging. It stimulates the muscle to absorb and use oxygen, this way the body can be more active. Also, Panax Ginseng stimulates the stomach muscles, helping with digestion. For people with muscle damage from several accidents, it is proven that the plant can decrease the injury’s effects.
- Increases libido Studies show that Panax Ginseng is an excellent aphrodisiac. It also helps with virility and sexual dysfunctions for both men and women. It has a good effect on nervousness, and Chinese people have been using it as a libido helper because it can release stress and inhibitors. Panax can prevent sexual dysfunctions that can occur with men, like erectile problems. Some studies found improvements in symptoms associated with menopause, mostly increases in libido.
Even if Panax Ginseng has many beneficial proprieties, you should not use it without a doctor’s opinion. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding this plant is not recommended. Also if you have high blood pressure or diabetes, it is better to check with your doctor first. A few medications might also have side effects or not benefit you if you mix them with Panax Ginseng. Some of them include anti-coagulants, heart medicine, nervous system stimulants, diabetic medication, painkillers, etc.